Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Cantherellus subalbidus (White Chanterelle) and Cantharellus formosus (Pacific Golden Chanterelle)

Mike Orr's video from the 23rd motivated me to get in the vehicle and drive to some spots where I have found Chanterelles in the past. The first 1/2 hour was disappointing, and then I stumbled upon a patch of tinny golden Chanterelles.


Interestingly there was evidence that someone else had been there before me -- I could see the neatly cut stipes of larger mushrooms beside the small ones I found. I wandered around in a wider circle, went up the hill a ways, found nothing, so circled back and proceeded downhill from where I had found the small ones. Then I came across a patch of White Chanterelles and picked a bag full.


I walked quite a while after that but did not find another patch.

I did, to my great joy, find a red legged frog. Quite unexpected in the forest. And she sat still so I could take some photos with my iPhone.



After leaving her to her -- I'm not sure what -- burying herself in the mud for the winter??? I went down the road to another place I have had luck in the past and found one small Golden Chanterelle in well over an hour of tramping through the wet salal and deep woods.


It was a lovely spot with the sun streaming through the trees and just before I gave up I came around a big old stump and found this:


The fungus had an unpleasant smell.


 But was impressive in heft and detail.


 A little further on I found some polypores:


I'm going to guess that this is Coltricia perennis (Tiger's Eye). There were several lovely speciments:

1 comment:

  1. The large Mushroom on the tree stump is probably Tapinella atrotomentosa or velvet pax. The photo in Matchmaker is really similar to the one I saw...

    ReplyDelete