Sunday, November 24, 2013

First Frost

Earlier this week the temperature dropped below freezing. Last weekend I had the pleasure of showing some friends a spot I knew to be good for hedgehogs and chanterelles and as it happened we found a small quantity of both.
Then this weekend I visited some old haunts to see if anything was left, and to my delight I found a good number of fairly large belly button hedghogs, and some late Golden Chanterelles. I also visited a log where I had left an Admirable Bolete and found that it had begun to rot. So with the data from several years now in hand I came up with the following table for when the various choice forest mushrooms are likely to flush. I'll adjust it in the future as I gather more data.


August September October November December
Lobster









White Chanterelle









Pacific Golden Chanterelle









Cauliflower









Bleeding Milk Caps









Admirable Bolete









Mika Cap









Pear Shaped Puffball









Conifer Coral Hericium









Club









Fluted Black Elfin Saddles









Hedghogs









Matsutake









Winter Chanterelle









Winter Oyster









No comments:

Post a Comment